I picked my favorite actresses, as in actresses I personally love or fell in love with--at some point--which does not necessarily mean they are great actresses - though most are. (I love Liz Taylor and Kate Hepburn, for example, but I'm not "in" love with them like I am with Bibi Andersson or was as a child with Kate Jackson or Marcia Brady). Also I've included the two films I love them for (as in Bacall or Lyon, two is all it takes). If they didn't have at least two, they're not in this list (i.e. Linda Fiorentino).
Where applicable I have linked to something I've written about them in the past, or else linked to a recommended writer who may offer more about them than I could -- as when reading about Jane Fonda, one naturally reaches for the work of Kim Morgan, or if thinking Michelle Pfeiffer it's Nathaniel R. When it's Vera Farmiga, I like to think it's all about me... and Vera Farmiga... 4 Eva.
1. MARLENE DIETRICH - Morocco, Shanghai Express, Dishonored
2. Lauren Bacall - The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not
3. Carole Lombard - Twentieth Century, Nothing Sacred
4. Barabara Stanwyck - Night Nurse, The Lady Eve
5. Jane Fonda - Klute, They Shoot Horses Don't They?
6. Vera Farmiga - Joshua, Down to the Bone
8. Veronica Lake -This Gun for Hire, I Married a Witch
10. Natasha Henstridge - Species, Ghosts of Mars
11. Sue Lyon - Lolita, Night of the Iguana
13. Myrna Loy - The Thin Man, Mask of Fu Manchu
14. Kate Winslet - Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
15. - Ella Raines - Phantom Lady, Hail the Conquering Hero
16. Beatrice Dalle - Betty Blue, Trouble Every Day
17. Kim Novak - Bell, Book & Candle, Strangers When We Meet
18. Bibi Andersson - Persona, Passion of Anna
19. Sandahl Bergman - Conan The Barbarian, All that Jazz
20. Isabelle Adjani - Camille Claudel, Possession
Damn, you see a trend emerging here? I'm seeing a trend emerging here.
Runners up would be: Susan Cabot, Lizabeth Scott, Ginger Rogers, Michelle Pfeiffer, Cathy O'Donnell, Darryl Hannah, Evan Rachel Wood, Famke Janssen, Linda Fiorentino, Linda Darnell, Martha Vickers, Gail Patrick, Anna Karina, Kay Francis, and Linda Hamilton